This was an experiment to see what the effect would be of adding of rye flour to the basic recipe of the last bread I made. The ingredients this time around are:
- 230g leaven (100ml of water, 65g whole wheat flour, 65g white bread flour, 30g starter)
- 700ml of water
- 535g whole grain organic spelt flour
- 215g white bread flour
- 150g organic rye flour
- 18g salt
The basic procedure was the same as most previous loaves, so I will only discuss how it seemed different. The rye flour definitely had an effect on the production of the gluten strands in the dough. Especially in the earlier stages, it was more likely to tear rather than stretch. It also seemed to feel stickier throughout the process, much more like the near 100% rye breads I have made in the past.
These were also placed in the fridge for a slow final rise overnight. When they were baked, I found they did not rise as high as the previous loaf and had more of a pancake look, even though the initial loaf when place in the combo cooker looked very promising. The taste was great, but the final texture had smaller wholes and none of the usual highly irregular structure I associate with these types of breads.
In conclusion, I would have to say that mixing rye with spelt in those quantities is probably not going to achieve an optimum loaf of bread. I think I will stick to using rye by itself, or adding it to a mainly wheat loaf.